Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Fish Called Kevin...

Today, as Shane and I were driving home, I made a spur of the moment decision to buy him a beta fish that he's been wanting for a long time. We went in and got it and he was on cloud 9. We already had the tank and things at home, so we came home to get it all set up.

On the drive home, he was trying to come up with a name for his fish. He first thought he'd name it Ben, from Ben 10. Then, he thought of Jared (who knows why). And finally, he landed on Kevin. I have no idea where that name came from, but hey, it's what he wants to call his fish, so who am I to argue!?

So, we get home and I start setting up the tank. I walk into the other room and he gets concerned that Kevin will be lonely in the kitchen while we are working on the tank, so I tell him to just bring Kevin along with us. (Poor fish probably never had such a bouncy caregiver before!) This next part just brought tears to my eyes.

I walk out of the room and as I'm coming back, I hear Shane talking to Kevin the fish. He is telling the fish that he finally has a good home and it just took some time to find the exact right family for him, but now he has the right family. He is leaned down with his face right at the edge of Kevin's little temporary bowl home and telling him in the softest, sweetest voice, "I'm right here. You don't need to worry. I'll take care of you." That was the most beautiful thing!

Of course now he's out riding his scooter and Kevin is swimming around in his new home, but I suspect we will hear many many conversations that take place between Shane and Kevin! What a cute pair!

No comments: