Sunday, October 7, 2007

But mom, 1 hour is like 70,000 minutes!!

That's what I heard today when I told Shane that I would like for him to go into his room and rest for 1 hour. I don't require him to take naps on any day except Sunday, and even then, he doesn't have to go to sleep. He just has to stay in his room and rest. He can read if he wants to, but usually, he just watches the clock. Every week the routine is the same, and every week we have the same argument...time. As in, does it have to be a WHOLE HOUR!?!?

Of course, in any other situation, such as how much time he gets to watch TV, or how long we will be staying at the pool, and hour is "like only 30 seconds!" Shane's clock definitely doesn't match the rest of the world's clock! :)

I remember as a kid having the same type of thing happen though. When something fun was about to happen, time seemed to run in slow motion. And when I was in the middle of doing something fun, time went by so quickly! Summers went by like a flash, and the school year, it took forever! (As a teacher it still feels like that!)

I tried to explain to Shane that if he watches the clock, it's going to feel like time is going slower. He said "well, why did God make clocks work like that? That wasn't very nice." I laughed and tried to explain that it just FELT like that. Not that it really was like that! :) He makes me laugh.

No comments: