Thursday, May 3, 2007

Adoption Lingo

This morning, someone sent me the link to a vlog (video log). This vlog discusses adoption and the language that people use when talking to one another regarding adoption. I thought it was VERY insightful and must say that I too have already experienced having some of these same things said to me. So, it made me think that maybe I should relay some of this information to whomever may read this (because I know I have such a HUGE fan base!) haha

There were 5 words, or phrases outlined in the vlog. 1) Is this your "real" child? 2) Did his/her parents "give him up"? 3) How much did it cost? 4) You can't get pregnant? 5) Oh, you will get pregnant now! I have heard some of these several times. I think the one that probably shocked me the most was "oh, so what's wrong with you? You can't get pregnant?"

To me, my ability to, or not to get pregnant is no one's business. In all honesty, my husband and I CHOSE not to have a child of our own, but to adopt a child instead. 3 months into our adoption, I now know that this was God's plan for our lives. It may not have been the plan that I had laid out in my head. You know me, being the planner and all and expecting things to go according to MY schedule. I think God must sit up there sometimes and just snicker at me when he sees how set in my ways I can be, when He has a much better plan in store.

So, when you meet someone with an adopted child just keep in mind that our children are absolutely our REAL children. His/Her parents were unable to care for him/her properly, so God chose us to do the job instead. The cost cannot be measured. Our children are worth more than we could ever give, so "price" is not even a question that COULD be answered if we wanted to. Pregnancy, well, regardless of who you are talking to, it's really no one's business and regarding getting pregnant after the adoption? Well, for some, it could happen, but for most (95% of people who have adopted a child) it's not part of God's plan.

No comments: