Friday, June 6, 2008

A chapter closes and a new one begins...

I never would have guessed a year ago that today, I would walk into my classroom at Texas School for the Deaf for the last time. That's right. I begin a new job soon with Leander ISD and although I'm excited about this new adventure, I'm quite sad at leaving so many great friends at T.S.D. But, even more than all my friends, I will miss my students the most. They were SUCH a great source of peace and comfort for me. I knew that anytime I needed a lift, my students would provide that for me, so I am sad to be leaving them behind. Hopefully, in my new position, I will find the same peace and fulfillment that I had at T.S.D.

Shane too had a chapter close. He just completed 3rd grade and his teacher this year was absolutely fabulous! I truly do not have enough good words to say about her. She was the best thing that could have happened to Shane. As I picked Shane up from his after school care yesterday, he sat in my truck and cried his eyes out saying "I'm going to miss my teacher! I love her so much!" What an incredible way to touch a kid's life. She was/is awesome!

This also was Shane's first time to spend an entire year at one school with one teacher consistently. Previously, he had moved from one foster home to the next before ever completing a full year with one teacher, so this one is extremely special in his life and is a milestone that we will cherish forever.

Steve's back is still giving him fits. He had another procedure done recently to hopefully help alleviate some of the pain, but it's a matter of time before we know if it worked or not. I certainly hope it does because he really needs some relief.

No comments: